Motor racing on Phillip Island began in 1928 with the running of the 100 Miles Road Race, an event which has since become known as the first Australian Grand Prix. It utilised a high speed rectangle of local closed-off public roads with four similar right hand corners. The course length varied, with the car course approximately 6 miles (9.7 km) per lap, compared to the motorcycle circuit which was approximately 10 miles (16 km) in length. The circuit was the venue for the Australian Grand Prix through to 1935 and it was used for the last time on 6 May 1935 for the Jubilee Day Races.
A new 3.312 mile (5.33 km) triangular circuit utilising the pit straight from the original rectangular course was subsequently mapped out and first used for the Australian Race Drivers' Cup on 5 November 1935. The final car event on the circuit was held on Cup Day (1 November) 1938 and the final motorcycle race meeting was conducted on 30 January 1940.
In 1951, a group of six local businessmen decided to build a new track. About 2 km away from the original circuit, it still bears the corner name signs of the original circuit. The new track was opened in 1956 and in 1960 the first Armstrong 500 production car race was held at the circuit. Extensive damage resulted from the running of the 1962 Armstrong 500, and, with the circuit owners unable to finance repairs, the circuit was closed and the race was moved to the Mount Panorama Circuit at Bathurst in New South Wales, to eventually become known as the Bathurst 1000.
The circuit reopened in October 1967 and hosted the Phillip Island 500K endurance race, a round of the Australian Manufacturers' Championship, from 1971 to 1977. But again, due to its testing terrain, the circuit required significant maintenance and slowly declined through the 1970s. It was farmed by its owners while closed and was then sold in 1985 in preparation for reopening, but did not do so until 1988 after agreement on a long term lease and rebuild agreement. During the time the circuit deteriorated and finally closed, part of the main problem for its owners was that the main bridge from the island to the Australian mainland reportedly could not carry the heavy vehicles needed to resurface the circuit. This meant that the bitumen surface was a cold mix which easily broke up under the rigours of racing, instead of the standard hot mix which would have allowed a more durable surface. It would not be until the mid-1980s that the bridge would be rebuilt allowing the necessary equipment needed for resurfacing. The circuit was refurbished with a reduced length of 4.445 kilometres and was reopened on 4 December 1988.
In 1989, the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix joined the F.I.M. Road Racing World Championship calendar for the first time, and was held at Phillip Island. Phillip Island hosted its first Superbike World Championship round in 1990, taking over from Sydney's Oran Park Raceway as the Australian round of the series.
In 1990, the Australian Touring Car Championship (ATCC) returned to the circuit for the first time since 1977, this time as a sprint round. The event was not held in 1991 or 1992, but was reinstated to the calendar in 1993, with the sprint format then continuing every year until 2004. By then, the ATCC was known as V8 Supercars. From 2008 to 2011, Phillip Island returned to hosting a 500 km race. The Phillip Island 500 replaced the Sandown 500 as the annual V8 Supercar 500 km race, an event which was later reinstated for 2012. Since then, Phillip Island has returned to hosting a sprint round of the championship, which has become known as the Phillip Island Super Sprint.Courtesy: Wikipedia.
Melbourne is the nearest international airport, about two hours drive or roughly 100 miles away.
Driving to the island from Melbourne. You take the Monash Freeway (M1) to the Cranbourne exit, where you will turn into the South Gippsland Highway (M420). Follow this route to the Bass Highway (A420), through Grantville and Bass. Turn right at Anderson roundabout onto the Phillip Island Road (B420) to San Remo, over the bridge onto Phillip Island.
Ferry services are also available three times each day (at Weekends) running from Stoney Point to Cowes. You will need to book in advance if attempting to board on a race weekend.
For track events the circuit provides a number of options for patron with a disability. There is a designated viewing area, (platform for major events) opposite the garages in pit lane. There is an accessible toilet facility provided adjacent to the viewing area.
There is a second viewing area on top of the pit garages with sections for people with a disability with glass observation windows. The roof gives a view of the entire circuit and paddock. The paddock is serviced with a cafe and an accessible toilet located at the side of the cafe. The roof observation area is serviced with an elevator at the southern end of the building. The garage building serves and a corporate event venue. The main corporate area is on the first floor which is serviced by the same elevator. The space is large and linked with an external wide veranda. There are no accessible toilets within the corporate space.
The visitor’s centre can be reached by following the road from Gate 1. Two designated disabled parking bays are located next to the building entry on the left hand side.
Entry to the visitor’s centre is through self opening sliding doors. At the end of the entry passage is an accessible toilet on the left hand side with a side handrail. The hand basin has knee clearance and is operated by a lever mixer tap. The room contains a baby change table.Courtesy:
|68-80 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia|
|117/133 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5951 4200|
|Cnr Church St &, Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5951 2400|
|161-163 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5952 1363|
|135 Marine Parade, San Remo VIC 3925, Australia||+61 3 5678 5337|
|United Petroleum||63-65 Phillip Island Tourist Rd, San Remo VIC 3925, Australia||+61 3 5678 5091|
|BP Truckstop||160-162 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5952 2024|
|Shell||157 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 421 512 502|
|Caltex Woolworths Cowes||124-128 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia|
|Bani's Restaurant & Bar - 10 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia - +61 3 5952 3106.
|Mediterranean Restaurant - 69 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia - +61 3 5952 3939.
|Saigon Maggie - 8/209-213 Settlement Rd, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia - +61 3 5900 0795.
|Pino's Trattoria - 29-31 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia - +61 3 5952 2808.
Italian cuisine in a spacious, glass-walled room with an easygoing vibe & Grand Prix memorabilia.
|Cheeky Goose Cafe - 4/72 Chapel St, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia - +61 3 5907 6900.
|Grenache Wine Bar - 55a Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia - +61 414 588 023.
|Cowes Kitchen - 1/69 Chapel St, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia - +61 3 5932 0710.
|Phillip Island RSL Sub Branch - Lone Pine Bistro - 225-243 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia - +61 3 5952 1004.
|Ocean Reach Brewing - 47 Thompson Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia - +61 3 5952 5274.
|Rusty Water Brewery Restaurant & Bar - 1821 Phillip Island Rd, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia - +61 3 5952 1666.
Light-filled venue with a fireplace, serving local brews and hearty dishes, plus live music..
|Glen Isla House||230 Church St, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5952 1882|
|Tropicana Motor Inn||22-26 Osbourne Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5952 1874|
|The Waves Apartments||1/3 The Esplanade, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5952 1351|
|Apartments at Glen Isla||234 Church St, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5952 2822|
|Phillip Island Cottages||23 Osbourne Ave, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5952 3068|
|Coachman Motel||51 Chapel St, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5952 1098|
|Kaloha Holiday Resort||17-21 Steele St, Cowes VIC 3922, Australia||+61 3 5952 2179|